Every year I participate in Technorati’s State Of The Blogosphere survey, and analyze the results to see how others are using blogs.
Some key highlights this year:
- 25 percent of all bloggers are engaged in mobile blogging, with 40 percent saying it has changed the way they currently blogged
- 48 percent of bloggers believe that more people will be getting their news and entertainment from blogs in the next five years than from the traditional media
- 64 percent of all bloggers remain hobbyists, and blog mainly to express their own personal views
- 81 percent of bloggers have been blogging for more than 2 years, and have on average 3.5 blogs
- 11 percent are now saying that blogging is their primary income source
- 56 percent of bloggers use Twitter, and 87 percent have a Facebook account. The most common reason to have one of these accounts is to promote their blogs.
- 75 percent of mommy bloggers use Twitter. 56 percent of mommy bloggers say Facebook is more effective traffic driver than it was a year ago.
- WordPress is the most popular blog platform
- 90 percent of bloggers use some form of multimedia on their blogs, with photos being the most popular form
- 48 percent of bloggers receive fewer than 1,000 unique visitors per month, and 2 percent receive more than 100,000 visitors per month
What are my takeaways, and what should you be looking for in blogging?
Mobile devices will be the new way of blogging and looking for information in the future. While the numbers are low today, people predict blogs to be the major source of news and entertainment within five years, which also means they will be accessing it from the tools they use the most – which is their mobile devices.
From the rest of the data, I still see blogging as a relatively new and untapped marketplace. Very few are deriving much traffic from it, and fewer still are deriving income from it. This will change. As more people learn to use these tools in effective ways, we’ll see greater numbers of people catapulting in both areas.
Don't forget to download your FREE Blogging Planner today.
Blogs can benefit any website but don’t worry if you can’t do all the writing yourself … you can hire a ghost blogger for that!